Sunday, May 14, 2017

Encounters at Eroica Montalcino 2017


I was working on my Chesini Criterium on the public parking in Montalcino, cleaning it up before the Eroica ride.  Two old men stopped, looked at my bike, and asked me if I was from Verona (because that is where Chesini bikes are built). I answered that I was from Luxemburg.
One of the guys tells me that he has a friend in Luxemburg, which he used to cycle with. His name is 'Edy Schütz'.
"But Edy Schütz was a professional cyclist", I say. "Were you also a professional rider?"
"Yes, I was on the Molteni team with Edy Schütz. We used to share the same room quite often when we were racing together."

He recalls that Edy wanted to win the Tour de Luxembourg in 1970. He remembers that Edy mounted a 11-tooth rear sprocket on his bicycle, for the time trial... and he won!
The guy told me his name, but I forgot it. I need to check out this story and find some documentation about it.
"Edy Schütz, né le 15 mai 1941 à Tétange, est un ancien coureur cycliste luxembourgeois.
Professionnel de 1964 à 1971, il remporte six fois le titre de champion du Luxembourg sur route de 1966 à 1971. Il a également remporté la 18e étape du Tour de France 1966, à Chamonix."

Another interesting encounter was with a private collector who had some incredible bikes on display.  Pinarello's, Willier-Triestina, and a beautiful gold-plated Montagner. I asked him about that one, because I did not know this brand. He explained that Montagner was a frame maker working for Pinarello. Pinarello was very good at designing frames, but he was not good at actually building frames. He worked with local framemakers in Treviso. When Montagner was not building frames for Pinarello, he built frames for the Polish and Csechoslovakian national teams, which he shipped in containers, that he filled up with his frames and wheels assembled by another local craftsman.  One day la Guardia di Finanza found some narcotics in the frames, and Montagner was arrested. Again, a good story to check-out...



  • According to Steel Vintage Bikes and VeloBase: "Montagner frames were built by Luigi Montagner, who was also the frame builder for the Czech and Polish national teams back in the 1980s."
  • cicli MONTAGNER - Passarella (VE). This fits: Passarella is very close to Treviso, where Pinarello bicycles were built.
  • A Montagner owner wrote this on a forum: "Montagner frames were built by Luigi Montagner, whose claim to fame was being builder to the Czech and Polish national teams for the 1987 season... I was told the brand petered out after Luigi got busted for importing drugs."



No comments:

Post a Comment